Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake

May 3, 2010 by andrea | Filed under Baking, Cakes, Dessert, Recipes.

There’s nothing like a good, homemade pound cake served with fresh berries.  This recipe for Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake is easy to make, moist and velvety, and has a light lemony flavor. It’s a great dessert for Spring and Summer celebrations and gatherings.

The first time I made the cake, it seemed a bit “eggy” to me so this time I used 5 eggs instead of 6. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla to the batter. After I took the cake out of the oven, I went for a run, which meant the cake cooled in the pan on a rack for about an hour. When I tried to turn out the cake, it stuck in a few places. I’m not sure if I didn’t grease the pan good enough or if it sat too long in the pan. Anyway, I didn’t sweat it…I just made a quick glaze with lemon juice and powdered sugar to drizzle on the cake. Not only did the glaze add more lemony flavor but it did a nice job of covering the holes. Serve with fresh berries.

Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake
-recipe from Bon Appétit Magazine

Yield: Serves 12

3 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 16-cup tube pan. Dust pan with cake flour; tap out excess flour.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat 5 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and peel. Using rubber spatula, mix in dry ingredients. Mix in sour cream. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Cut around cake in pan. Turn out cake.

Carefully turn cake right side up on rack and cool completely. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Wrap in foil and let stand at room temperature.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags: , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake”

1. denise says:

Stopping by from Trendy Treehouse Marketing Monday to say HI!

2. Helen says:

I’ve had a box of ckae flour in the fridge for sme time waiting to be used for something & I bought lemons just the other day oh boy I can taste it now LOL
    Helen

3. This looks really good! I love how airy it looks! Thanks!

4. Kate says:

Oh, I’m so glad you found me and said hello…and then of course lured me back to this pound cake recipe. How delicious! I can’t wait to try it. Following you 🙂

5. Mrs. Jen B says:

Mmmm!!!! Looks amazing…I swear I can practically taste it! And I love your glaze idea – reminds me of when I made a ganache once to cover a cracked cheesecake. Now I’m not allowed to make the cheesecake with ganache! haha

Thanks for sharing @ Tuesday Tastes!

6. SnoWhite says:

that looks so fresh and tasty! Love the lemon and berry combo.

7. April Harris says:

That sure does sound delicious – and it looks beautiful too!

8. That looks so yummy! I love pound cake, sadly, my butt shows it! Thanks for sharing.

9. Kathleen says:

This sounds like the perfect pound cake! Great photo too.

10. Trista says:

I am visiting from new friend friday and I am excited to try this cake, it even looks healthy which is a plus.

11. Clean Mama says:

I am totally making this! It looks amazing!

12. I love pound cake – and with Lemon – oh, yeah! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tastes! I love having you! If you get a chance, come back and use the poll in the side bar to cast your vote for the People’s Choice Award!

Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

13. RJ says:

Yum! I’ve yet to make a pound cake, I think when the time comes I will definitely have to try a sour cream one. Thanks for sharing!

14. Melinda says:

This would be a great way to use some of excess eggs! thanks for sharing!

15. That looks and sounds so yummy – what a lovely Spring & Summer dessert! Thanks for linking it up!

16. Susieqtpies says:

Newest friend from New Friend Friday! yeah! Love your blog n your yummy treats!

I’d love to feature sometime as Guest Chef!!

Stop in and say HI to Susieqtpies Scraps of Life

17. Ashley says:

That looks yummy!! Just making the Coffee Girl Rounds this AM – Have a GREAT weekend!

18. Kathy C. says:

Oh Yum! This looks like the perfect summertime dessert….mmmmm.

19. Yum! We do have some strawberries….

20. Jerri says:

I just bookmarked this! It’s looks too yummy to not try! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

21. Bruce says:

I am totally making this! It looks amazing!

22. […] the chicken with buttered orzo (rice-shaped pasta) and a mixed green salad. For dessert, serve Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake with fresh berries. […]

23. […] the chicken with buttered orzo (rice-shaped pasta) and a mixed green salad. For dessert, serve Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake (http://www.inspired2cook.com/2010/05/03/sour-cream-and-lemon-pound-… with fresh […]