Double Chocolate Pudding

May 21, 2010 by andrea | Filed under Chocolate, Comfort Food, Dessert, Kid-friendly, Recipes.

Pudding is comfort food, and in this case it’s delicious, chocolatey and super easy to make. A small amount of this pudding goes a long way because it’s so rich. Normally, I’d serve the chocolate pudding with some lightly sweetened whipped cream but since I was making it for my munchkins, I didn’t bother. My 6-year-old exclaimed after eating a few bites, “Mommy, how did you make pudding so good?” Priceless! I told him I was magic.

I altered the recipe just a tad based on a few reviews I read about it on the epicurious.com website. I reduced the cornstarch to 1.5 tablespoons and used 1 cup of half & half and 1 cup of 2% milk. The pudding was thick enough without being too thick and had a nice, silky texture. If you substitute semi-sweet chocolate for the bittersweet chocolate, reduce the sugar a bit (bittersweet has less sugar). Serve as is or garnished with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and fresh berries. Enjoy!

Double Chocolate Pudding
-recipe from epicurious.com

It’s the extra chocolate that enriches and elevates this dessert from the simple to the sublime. And it takes about 2 minutes longer to prepare than pudding from a boxed mix. What a difference 2 minutes makes. Makes 6 servings.

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons cornstarch (I used 1.5 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups light cream
3 ounces chopped bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the cream until smooth, then whisk in the remaining 1 cup cream. Set the pan over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Continue to whisk and boil for 1 minute.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla. Let stand for 5 minutes until the chocolate is melted, then stir gently until the pudding is smooth. (Do not stir too much or the pudding might thin out.)

Divide the pudding among 6 small dessert dishes. Let cool for about 20 minutes to serve warm and soft, or chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.

Mothers’ Little Helpers
June 1999
by Melanie Barnard

I’m linking to these blog parties:
Foodie Friday
Friday Favorites
Finer Things Friday
It’s A Hodgepodge Friday
New Friend Friday
Company Girl Coffee
Chocolate Friday
Friday Food
Favorite Things Friday

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly

Tags: , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Double Chocolate Pudding”

1. Katie says:

Hi! Glad I found your blog…looks like you are going to be helping me make dinner! Everything looks very appetizing!

2. You are right…that IS comfort food at its finest! I love homemade pudding – you brought back memories of when I was a little girl and my mom would make homemade pudding for us! I think it’s best when it’s still hot

3. Leslie says:

It looks delicious! Where are the coffee recipes, Company Girl?!?

4. Yum!! That sounds wonderful! Can’t believe I haven’t tried making my own pudding yet. This sounds like a great recipe to start with. Thanks for linking it!

5. Sarah says:

Mmmm! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah

6. April Harris says:

I haven’t made pudding from scratch in years but I think I will be making your recipe soon – it sounds lovely!

7. Andrea says:

This looks delicious!
    I write a food blog too and love finding other bloggers to share and link recipes with!
    Stop by sometime and say hi!

-Andrea

8. Melinda says:

Oh the cream would really add a rich flavor and texture! Yum!

9. Kristal says:

Looks so yummy – my son loves to make homemade pudding!

10. M says:

I love all things chocolate. That looks divine. I’m copying it to make soon.

11. joyce says:

thanks for sharing this recipe as I adore pudding:-)
    Joyce

12. Kathy says:

I made the pudding as-is, except I didn’t add the heavy cream–I don’t have any. Easy to make, and fabulous.

13. Kathy says:

The flavor of this pudding was good, but the texture was horrible. 3 tablespoons of cornstarch is entirely too much – if I make this again, I’ll decrease that by at least 1T.

14. Jerri says:

Looks very decadant! Yum! Thanks for linking for Friday Favorites!

15. andrea says:

I used 1.5 tablspoons of cornstarch instead of the 3 tablespoons that the recipe called for.

16. LydiaCate says:

I need a bowl of that RIGHT now, really! That looks so good!
    I’ve never made pudding from scratch…You’ve inspired me.
    Thanks! Love the comment from your little one! Too cute!

17. [...] for Moms 24. Allyson @ A Heart for Home :: Endless Gifts 25. Emily @ Little Home (peonies) 26. Inspired2cook (Double Chocolate Pudding) 27. EASY SHRIMP SCAMPI -a little bit of everything 28. Marcia@Frugalhomekeeping (Betty [...]

18. Christine says:

This looks so good! I’ve never made pudding from scratch and I am totally going to make this. Came over from Friendly Friday and now I’m starving :-)

19. Emily says:

Looks so yummy – my son loves to make homemade pudding!

20. Kylee says:

I need a bowl of that RIGHT now, really! That looks so good!
    I’ve never made pudding from scratch…You’ve inspired me.
    Thanks! Love the comment from your little one! Too cute!

21. Megan says:

I have been making his pie since I saw it on air about 1 year ago and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is so easy to make and the flavor is just amazing. It will be one of my truly favorite things.

22. Megan says:

I haven’t tried making my own pudding yet. This sounds like a great recipe to start with. Thanks for sharing it!

23. Megan says:

That looks so good!I’ve never made pudding from scratch…You’ve inspired me.Thanks for the share.

24. Samantha says:

I haven’t tried making my own pudding yet. This sounds like a great recipe to start with. Love your blog.

25. Diane says:

26. Christy says:

That looks so good! I’ve never made pudding from scratch…You’ve inspired me, Thanks! Love the comment from your little one! Too cute!

27. Ana in Miami says:

Oh, yummers! I will be trying this for sure.