Fresh Strawberry Syrup

June 7, 2010 by andrea | Filed under Breakfast, Condiment, Dessert, Recipes, Sauce.

Recently, I bought one of those mongo 6 pound packages of fresh strawberries to use for strawberry shortcake. After making the shortcake, however, I still had 2 pounds of the precious berries. Not wanting the leftover berries to go to waste, I decided to make some strawberry syrup. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s way better than store bought berry syrup and can be used in a variety of ways. For instance, a topping for pancakes or waffles, mixed with plain yogurt, stirred into hot oatmeal, added to club soda or lemonade for a refreshing drink, etc.

Watch the heat on the boiling berries. I was multitasking while I made the syrup and ended up with a strawberry mess all over my stove. Good times!

Let me know how you use your strawberry syrup. There’s so many possibilities…

Strawberry Syrup
-Recipe from Bon Appétit Magazine

1 pound sliced hulled strawberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Bring strawberries, water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt to boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat to prevent mixture from boiling over. Add lemon juice. Strain, pressing on solids. Cover and chill syrup. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.

Parties I’m linked to:
Just Something I Whipped Up Monday
Market Yourself Monday
Motivate Me Monday
Tuesdays at the Table
Tasty Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tuesday Tastes
Show Off Your Stuff
Ultimate Recipe Swap

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Syrup”

1. I eat berry syrup over whole wheat pancakes. I make something similar with a little maple syrup instead of corn syrup.

My AC broke today, so right about now I would love your idea of berry syrup in a cold lemonade.

2. Jeri says:

Your post looks and sounds delicious – I will try it for sure. Thanks for sharing!!

3. Liza says:

Yum with vanilla ice cream too.

4. Maria @ LSS says:

Thanks for sharing this great idea. Happy RT!

5. Modern Mom says:

That looks delicious. I would love to give it a try. :)

6. Teena says:

Yummy! Happy Ruby Tuesday <3

7. I found you via Ruby Tuesday that you linked to also. It’s my first time participating there.
    I like to make my own syrups, too, so that I can control all the ingredients.

8. M has a great idea to put over whole wheat pancakes. I’m sure it would be delicious on cottage cheese too!

9. Kristen says:

Fruit syrups are so good on waffles and French toast, but we also like them over filled crepes, vanilla ice cream and in milk shakes. Yours looks wonderful.

10. Mama E says:

Yum! I have a huge bag of frozen strawberries in the fridge. Time to use them…
    Stopping by from Fireflies and Jellybeans party.

11. Looks delicious! I’d love to try it over homemade yeast-raised waffles!

12. Could I have some french toast too? Please? YUMMY! Thanks for sharing your recipe with Tuesday Tastes! People’s Choice Award Polls are open now, come vote for your favorite!

Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

13. Sherry says:

Yum! Absolutely delicious sounding to go on some French toast or pancakes! :D

14. Megan Berry says:

I’ll have to give this recipe a try. I made a batch and canned some of it last summer but when I opened the jars it was more like jam. It’s still tasty and my daughter uses it on her PB and Jam sandwiches…but it’s not the syrup of my dreams.