Sweet Peach Muffins with Brown Sugar-Walnut Streusel Topping

July 23, 2010 by andrea | Filed under Baking, Breakfast, Kid-friendly, Muffins, Recipes.

I love muffins, and I’m always trying to find new and delicious ways to whip up a batch of these easy-to-make treats. The house smelled so good while these Sweet Peach Muffins were baking! The recipe says to eat them 5 minutes after they come out of the oven. I tried that and burned my fingers on molten chunks of peach. I suggest waiting a bit longer for the muffins to cool, especially if kids will be enjoying them. One of my kids even inhaled two of the muffins in one sitting.  The combination of perfectly ripe peaches, warm spices and the streusel topping is delicious!

I skipped the walnuts in the streusel topping because I’m not a fan of walnuts. Pecans would be a great substitute but I chose to forgo the nuts because I thought the kids would like the muffins best without them. Either way, the streusel topping is tasty. This recipe is versatile and can be used with a variety of fruits depending on season. I haven’t tried any of the other versions, but I’m looking forward to trying the muffins with pears and apples in the Fall. Yumm!

Sweet Peach Muffins with Brown Sugar-Walnut Streusel Topping
-recipe from The Foster’s Market Cookbook by Sara Foster with Sarah Belk King

These are best when peaches are at their summer peak, although they’re good made with frozen peaches, too. The streusel topping can be made in advance. These muffins are best eaten warm. Variations: Almost any fresh or frozen fruit (except for very soft fruits like bananas, papaya, or mango) can be substituted for the peaches. Try blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries. In autumn, try chopped fresh apples or chipped pears.

Makes large 12 muffins.

1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 tablespoon dark rum or pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups peeled, pitted, chopped peaches

For the topping: Combine the walnuts, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the butter and mix until well blended. Set aside or refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.

For the muffins: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 large muffin cups with paper liners and spray the top part of the pan lightly with nonstick spray.

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, sour cream and rum or vanilla until well blended. Fold in the peaches.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just moist and blended. Do not overmix.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan with a large ice cream scoop (1/3-cup scoop). The batter will come to the top of the paper liner or pan. Sprinkle with the Brown Sugar-Walnut Streusel Topping and lightly press the topping into the muffin batter.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes clean. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Turn the muffins out of the pan, and serve immediately.

I’m linked to:
Foodie Friday
New Friend Friday
Finer Things Friday
Friday Favorites
Favorite Things Friday
Cupcake Tuesday
Delicious Dishes
Tasty Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tuesday Tastes

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Sweet Peach Muffins with Brown Sugar-Walnut Streusel Topping”

1. lisa says:

I love muffins for guests.. and I love peaches… I am going to write this recipe down.. stop for sharing… I hope it’s easy LOL.. sounds good… I liked your feta and wheat berry salad.. you have much healthy things… Wait, it’s printer friendly… I love it.. How do you get that printer button ?? let me know at eatmywords40@yahoo.com if you have time…
    Do you have a recipe for artichoke muffins or cupcakes I have been searching.. LOL

2. Sandy says:

I found your blog just in time… I have a very large, or rather three, bags of peaches in the freezer.. they were on special at the produce store and I had to get them.. I”m making your muffins tomorrow!
    Thanks so much
    Sandy
    thewondersofdoing@blogspot.com

3. Courtney says:

Thank you SO much for stopping by One Fine Wire – I really love your blog, may come back for some great recipes!

Come back any time, I’d love to see you there!

Nice to meet you as well!

4. Olivia says:

Those sound so yummy! I’m definitely saving this recipe. I’m a HUGE muffin fan!

5. NancyC says:

Those muffins sound really good! I love peaches!

6. I love sweet peaches in the summer times! These look fabulous! I hear my muffin tins calling my name as we speak!

7. Susan says:

Local peaches are just starting to hit the market. I’ve never made muffins with peaches before but would love to try this recipe!

8. ldh says:

I love muffins too! I always try to have a batch in the freezer for a quick and tasty breakfast that thaws perfectly in the microwave in 12-15 seconds.

Peach muffins are delicious and with the yummy topping ~ I’ll just have to copy the recipe and make a batch!

I enjoy stopping by your sweet place here!
    Kindly, ldh

9. Stopping by from TMTT. This is the first time I’ve seen peach muffins and they look SO yummy! We have a nut allergy in our house though, so I’ll probably have to substitute something else for the nuts (maybe rolled oats).

10. April Harris says:

Those muffins sound so delicious, especially with the streusel topping – and perfect for this time of year with all the fresh peaches around!

11. Jacqueline says:

Oh, you are killing me! This looks so scrumptious. I am starving and what am I doing reading through Tasty Tuesday. I am printing this one.

12. debi9kids says:

OMGOSH! this looks delicious ! I have a bunch of fresh white Jersy peaches and I’ve been looking for something to do with them….

13. Nichole says:

Found you through Tasty Tuesdays, this looks like a great recipe, and the peaches I just bought sitting in the fridge just might have a new use! I am now a new follower! Thanks for the recipe!

Nichole @

14. Yum! We love peaches at our house too! Thanks so much for adding them to Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

15. Jerri says:

I’ve never had a peach muffin. These look delicious, especially with the streusel topping! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

16. [...] Homemaking–His Tangible Goodness34. Summer Chicken Salad & One of my Poems35. Inspired2cook – Sweet Peach Streusel Muffins36. Dawn @ Life Lines37. Olivia@Of Such is the Kingdom (Summer Fun)38. Katie @ Frugal Femina – [...]

17. Beth says:

I’m not a huge fan of peaches but I think this recipe would be very adaptable to any fruit. Of course I also saw your other muffin recipes. Thanks for posting all these recipes, and in printer friendly form. I appreciate your effort!

18. Yummy!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

19. JDaniel4's Mom says:

This post has been selected as one of my great posts of the week. Her is the list to my post: http://www.jdaniel4smom.com/2010/08/great-posts-i-came-across-this-week.html.

20. [...] girls got up and got going.  I wanted to try something new for breakfast, so I found a recipe for Peach Streusel Muffins.  They turned out very good.  I spent the morning making some peach jam.  For some reason, one [...]