Asian Dumpling Soup

April 3, 2011 by andrea | Filed under Asian, Quick Cooking, Recipes, Soup/Stew.

Although it’s officially spring, the cool weather here in the Pacific Northwest means it’s still soup season. A few days ago I made this super quick and easy Asian Dumpling Soup when I was home with the sniffles. Recipes like this are the reason I always like to have a package of potstickers in the freezer. This simple soup consists of fresh veggies, your favorite potstickers and a light sesame-flavored broth. To bump up the flavor, add some fresh garlic or ginger to the simmering broth and a little Asian hot sauce for kick.

Asian Dumpling Soup
-adapted recipe from Gourmet Magazine (November 2005)

We love the homey quality and clean flavors of this colorful soup. Makes 4 main-course servings.

1 (15- to 16-oz) package frozen Asian dumplings (also called pot stickers; about 20 to 24)
5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (40 fl oz)
3 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage (from 1 head)
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
1 cup shredded or matchstick (1/8-inch-thick) carrots (from a 10-oz bag)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce (or more to taste)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Cook dumplings in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling unsalted water, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. (Cut into a dumpling to check filling.) Remove pot from heat and keep dumplings warm in hot water.

While dumplings cook, bring chicken broth to a boil in a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot. Add cabbage, mushrooms, and carrots and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes, then add peas and cook 2 minutes. Stir in scallions, sesame oil, salt, and pepper and boil until all vegetables are tender, about 1 minute.

Divide dumplings among 4 soup bowls with a slotted spoon. Ladle soup over dumplings.

I’m linked to:
Show Off Your Stuff Party
Try New Adventures Thursday
Somewhat Simple Blog Party
Recipe Swap Thursday
Foodie Friday
Friday Favorites
Feature Yourself Friday
Friday Potluck
Feasting in Fellowship Friday

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags: , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Asian Dumpling Soup”

1. Candace says:

What a delicious looking soup! We absolutely love potstickers; but, I have never thought of putting them in a soup. It’s supposed to be spring here in NH too but it’s cold enough for soup here daily. I know my family would love it. Do you have a particular brand that you like to buy? Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

2. Looks sooo scrumptious. I just tried cooking with shiitake mushrooms for the 1st time this year!

3. laxsupermom says:

Yum! Sounds like a wonderful way to warm up. Thanks for sharing.

4. Joyce says:

I’m not really sure when spring will come, so we will definitely have some more soup days. It was supposed to rain here (Northern California) today, but looks like the gusty winds blew the clouds away.

5. Oh my. Thank you for posting this! I’ve been on an Asian soup kick and have been wanting it all the time. So having a handy recipe is going to help a lot. And help my budget by not getting out. 😉

6. Jenn says:

This looks fantastic and easy. I love potstickers so I’m going to have to try this. Thanks, Jenn

7. Mrs. Jen B says:

This looks and sounds delicious and well worth a try in my own kitchen. Question: Any reason you cook the dumplings separate from the broth? Just wondering if there’s some reason I shouldn’t try it that way myself.

Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friday!

8. andrea says:

Hi! I wondered the same thing when I first made the recipe. The only thing I can think of is that cooking the dumplings in the broth would thicken it…and there might not be enough broth to properly cook all the dumplings. Thanks for stopping by!

9. That Asian Dumpling soup look absolutely delicious! Thanks for the recipe, it would be handy for a cold and rainy day (although it would be good for any day! 🙂

10. andrea says:

I hope you all enjoy the recipe! Thanks for stopping by!!!

11. Kristi says:

Thanks for the great soup. My whole family loved it!

12. andrea says:

I’m glad you liked it, Kristi! 🙂

13. Allyson M says:

I made up my own recipe, too, for Asian dumpling soup–very similar to this one. I’ve used the precooked pot stickers that you get in the sushi bar at a grocery store–and I have thought about using the ones that are frozen. I use one tablespoon of dumpling dipping sauce or the container of sauce that comes with the dumplings, then 1/4 tsp ginger or 2 ginger tea bags and 2 star anise in broth.